Thursday, August 23, 2012

Doctor Boy


I suck. I know. I was contemplating redoing this blog and making it public. But then I realized I would hate that, and wouldn’t be able to be so honest with y’all. So I’m staying anonymous. And I’ll catch you up on the past month as we go. But right now most of y’all, according to twitter, want to know the story behind Doctor Boy. So here goes!

I met Doctor Boy the summer after my junior year in high school. I was convinced I was going to Duke University, and he was still picking which baseball scholarship he was going to take. I was attracted to him instantly because he had this very emotionless façade, and these stunning eyes – like pierce through your soul kind of eyes. Absolutely beautiful. We were at this leadership convention in Arkansas, and it was tiny and Christian based, and honestly, I had expected it to be an absolutely miserable experience. But it wasn’t, I had the time of my life, and met some of the most amazing people I had ever met before. At this point in my life, I was still on and off with HS Sweetheart, and so I really didn’t think of Doctor Boy as anything more than just a good looking friend. He had been dating his girlfriend for quite a few years, and we just got along as friends well enough to keep in touch. We had some great talks during the week we were at the forum. I learned that he also wanted to be a doctor, and that he shared a lot of the same values I did. I also learned that he was incredibly intelligent – and for a girl who had yet to meet a guy who was on her level of smarts, it was a very nice first for me! We kept in touch for a few months. Found out where we each chose to go for college. All that. But it eventually just turned into me seeing him on my facebook timeline from time to time, and not really thinking about it.

Then at the beginning of this summer, he followed me on twitter, and we just began to chat idly, he commented on a picture of us and another friend from my facebook about getting together for a reunion. We eventually swapped phone numbers and began to talk a lot. I learned that him and his (now ex) girlfriend of 5 years had broken up around april or may, though he didn’t go into much detail, and that he still planned on becoming a doctor. We were very flirty, and it was great. And finally I just invited him down to visit me, since he went to school about 4 hours away from my hometown.

Well last weekend he made the drive down Friday after he got out of classes. It was kind of awkward at first. But it got less awkward when he gave me a hug and looked down at me and went “Man you really haven’t grown at all since the trip!” in that adorable, deep southern accent that you can only get out of a true southern farm boy. We fell into an easy rhythm pretty quick. Unlike me, he had grown a good 3 or 4 inches since the trip, and now stood easily over 6 foot, a definite positive in my mind – height is one of my non negotiables, or “hard limits” for all of you 50 shades fans.

I helped my mom make salmon and mango salsa, and to be honest, I really am quite inept when it comes to cooking, except for a few other things, so of course both Doctor Boy and my mom gave me a hard time about that. My mom’s best friend was also over, she was spending the night that night to help mom pack and what not. We all started drinking after dinner, white wine for me, an IPA for Doctor boy, and coconut rum/pineapple for my ma and her friend. House was kind of our show of choice as we relaxed that night. It was kinda awkward at first, cuz we had only ever been friends, but we knew we were attracted to each other – and its always one thing if you start things out as more than friends, but when you move from friends to more there is always that little awkward stage. So we sat there drinking, him on one couch, me on the other, waiting til midnight so we could go get the hunger games. Eventually he came over and sat on my couch so my Mom and her friend could sit on the couch he was sitting on. He grabbed my hand, and it was super cute, but with mom being there, and all that, it was just kind of awkward. It’s times like this where I really can’t wait to be living in my own apartment again!

My 16 year old bro, M, drove us to Walmart to go get the movie at midnight, and I have to say, I definitely geeked out a little bit. I absolutely love the Hunger Games series. And Doctor Boy hadn’t even seen the movie yet! So we walked through walmart all couple like and cutesy, bought our movies and headed home. My mom and her friend only made it like 20 minutes into the movie before they fell asleep, so me and Doctor Boy finally got to cuddle up on the couch. And I think that’s when it hit me how freaking adorable this kid is. Not only is he good looking, and super intelligent, he just is a sweetheart. He gives off this unemotional, stoic façade, but once he lets you past that he’s super open and adorable. Which I can’t say as much for myself. I found myself wanting to open up to him multiple times that night, and the next night, and just wasn’t able to do it. So we cuddled, and he kissed my cheek, and we watched the hunger games. And eventually I turned around to say something, and he kissed me. So obviously we were up until 4 am making out on the couch like teenagers. It was a blast.

The next day we went to the beach, got burned like idiots, went to lunch, and then came home and showered and went to play putt putt… in the thunder and lightning of course. But it was a blast. I learned I absolutely suck at putting, but I can hit the ball pretty dang far! And then we went home and had a night similar to the night before. It was a lot of fun, and relaxing. And I hated that he had to go the next day. But he did. He left around noon. It was sad. But such is life. I know I wont see him again for God only knows how long. But it’s alright. I knew that going into the weekend. I think he maybe thought more of it than I did? But that’s not a new thing. He had made sly cracks about long term that I don’t think he knew I got, cuz I kind of ignored them. But in reality, if there was a type that I’d go for long term, he would be it. I mean, how can you go wrong with an absolutely gorgeous, super smart, future doctor? Oh, and he has a southern accent. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment