Monday, July 2, 2012

Hitch In The Road


Welllll hi there my loves! I am so sorry I have been so bad at updating. But really, until a little while ago, there was nothing worth updating! I got my score on my first Physiology test – a 96! Go meeee! Every time I get that good grade, I feel like I am one step closer to achieving my dreams. Med school is so close, but it feels so far too. Does that make any sense to anyone? How many of y’all are pre med? Or even in medical school? Or planning on going premed in college? I’d love to hear some of y’alls stories and what y’all are planning on doing!
I have two tests this week. First Pharmacotherapy test has to be in by Friday, and second physiology test by Sunday night again. So I’m starting to stress. They scheduled me every day this week at work except for Thursday, but, unfortunately, I don’t get to work til probably Friday, so I’ll have no problem getting my studying in now – more about why I cant work later.
Well it has been in the works (not sure if I have mentioned it thus far) that I would be shadowing Ace’s father, who is a vascular surgeon. I was beyond excited for it, but then on Wednesday I had a text from Ace telling him to call his dad (who I see as a kind of father figure as well) ASAP. So I went into the bathroom at work, and gave him a call. Ace’s dad is  quite the character, and as soon as he picked up the phone, he goes “You know I love you like a daughter. Now, how serious are you about going to medical school?” So obviously you all knew my answer. And I think he knew that answer, he’s known it since I was like 12 years old. But he had an opportunity for me. Well, more than one opportunity. Not only was I going to be shadowing him and some other surgeons this summer, he is going to have me doing data collection and entry for a research project. This may sound dull and tedious, which in all actuality it really is – but it means I’ll be published in an actual medical journal this summer! Which is a HUGE deal. It’s such a helpful thing to have when applying to medical school! On top of the shadowing and the research, he also is friends with two deans of admissions at two medical schools, and he got me sit down interviews with both of them, so I can discuss how to better my chances of getting into medical school! I am just blown away. I honestly wanted to cry when he told me all this. It’s like he’s fast tracking me, giving me a direct in, to my dream! I just can’t wait to get started. I literally went home from work that night and filled out all the paperwork, and got it sent in – I got the acceptance email right away. Now I’m just waiting for the email with all the online orientation and stuff. Gotta get a health screening, ID badge for the hosp and all that.
My god sis was in town all week, and we went to the beach once, but really, we just kinda hung out all week. Except for Thursday night. We went to the premier of Magic Mike at midnight. And let me tell you something. Holy Channing Tatum and Alex Pettyfer. I’m glad everyone is falling in love with Alex now, but I’ve got to claim that I’ve been in love with him for some time. So bitches can back off.
The weather here this past weekend has been absolutely ridiculous. I actually have had a really hard time. It was 122 on the heat index on Sat and I worked all day. It was disgusting. It was also that bad last night when I worked. But oh boy oh boy, last night was traumatic for its own reasons.
I had a great night, minus the heat, and made awesome money. I finally got cut around 10 PM and was doing my sidework, which included stocking oyster cracker baskets. Well halfway through I ran out of captain’s wafers, and pulled down a new box, and had to open it. Well one of my coworkers saw me trying to pull the tape off with my fingers and he whipped out a boxcutter to help. Which was fine, until he sliced my thumb with it on accident. I didn’t even feel it slice my thumb open, I just kinda grabbed my thumb with my other fingers, cuz I knew he hit it, but I didn’t feel it. Which was my first clue that it was not good. I looked up at my coworker, who had dropped the boxcutters and was just staring at me open mouthed and said “I’m afraid to look.” And he just kinda stuttered and was like “I am too.” But I finally opened my hand, and looked down, and saw some nail, and then it just started gushing blood. I had no idea how deep it was, or anything. I followed my coworker back to the office to get the first aid kit, but by the time I got there and looked down, I had blood dripping down my arm, off my hand, all over the floor. I kinda looked up at my manager and was like “I think this is past just a bandaid.” He took one look at my hand, and called one of my coworkers in to take me to the ER. So I did. And by the time I got to the ER I had soaked through multiple stacks of paper towels, and they were really quick getting my hand in a pressure wrap, and getting me into a room, cuz apparently I looked like I was going to hit the deck at any second. I was there for a couple hours, and they gave me loratab, xrayed my thumb, and then gave me the option of glue, or stitches. And seeing a needle for lidocaine sitting there, the decision for glue was an easy one.
So that was last night. And my thumb looks absolutely disgusting. I posted some pictures on twitter (@_singlegirlswag) that y’all can go take a look at if you’d like. But I warn you, it’s pretty disgusting. Anyways. That’s all for now. I guess I won’t be working ‘til this weekend or so. So other than studying, this will be a priority, especially since I cant work out… or go to the beach… or do really anything ‘cuz of this skin glue stuff. SO ANNOYING! Argh! I think I’m gunna write a blog post just on my opinion on meeting people online, and all that. Cuz I have seen a lot of blog posts about that lately. We shall see. Later lovelies!

No comments:

Post a Comment